Terms Used In Florida Statutes > Chapter 716
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.