Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 659
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Association: means an association organized under chapter 421 or 421C. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Certificate of limited partnership: means the certificate required by section425E-201. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Constituent limited partnership: means a constituent organization that is a limited partnership. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Constituent organization: means an organization that is a party to a merger. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Director: means the director of the department of commerce and consumer affairs. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Entity: includes domestic and foreign corporations, domestic professional corporations, domestic and foreign limited liability companies, domestic and foreign nonprofit corporations, domestic and foreign business trusts, estates, domestic and foreign partnerships, domestic and foreign limited partnerships, domestic and foreign limited liability partnerships, trusts, two or more persons having joint or common economic interest, associations and cooperative associations, and state, federal, and foreign governments. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Foreign limited partnership: means a partnership formed under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this State and required by those laws to have one or more general partners and one or more limited partners. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Limited partner: means :
(1) With respect to a limited partnership, a person that:
(A) Becomes a limited partner under section 425E-301; or
(B) Was a limited partner in a limited partnership when the limited partnership became subject to this chapter under section 425E-1204(a) or (b); and
(2) With respect to a foreign limited partnership, a person that has rights, powers, and obligations similar to those of a limited partner in a limited partnership. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Organizing articles: means :
(1) For an association, corporation, or nonprofit corporation, the articles of incorporation;
(2) For a general partnership or limited liability partnership, the registration statement;
(3) For a limited partnership, or limited liability limited partnership, the certificate of limited partnership; and
(4) For a limited liability company, the articles of organization. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Other business entity: means a corporation, limited liability company, general partnership, limited liability partnership, or association. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Partner: means a limited partner or general partner. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Partnership agreement: means the partners' agreement, whether oral, implied, in a record, or in any combination, concerning the limited partnership. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Person: includes any individual or entity. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Personal liability: means personal liability for a debt, liability, or other obligation of an organization which is imposed on a person that co-owns, has an interest in, or is a member of the organization:
(1) By the organization's governing statute solely by reason of the person co-owning, having an interest in, or being a member of the organization; or
(2) By the organization's organizational documents under a provision of the organization's governing statute authorizing those documents to make one or more specified persons liable for all or specified debts, liabilities, and other obligations of the organization solely by reason of the person or persons co-owning, having an interest in, or being a member of the organization. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-1101
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 425E-102
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.