Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 703 - General Principles of Justification
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Employees: includes compensated officers, managers, and employees of a firm, corporation, partnership, sole proprietor, trust, estate, or members of an unincorporated association or nonprofit organization. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Employer: includes any firm, corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, trust, estate, and unincorporated association or nonprofit organization; it also includes the State, any county, any municipal corporation, and any governmental unit, agency, or department thereof. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Insurer: means an insurer authorized to transact the business of motor vehicle, property, and casualty insurance in the State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Mass merchandise: means to sell and "mass merchandising" means a sale of insurance wherein:
(1) The insurance is offered to employees of particular employers, and
(2) The employer has agreed to, or otherwise affiliated itself with, the sale of such insurance to its employees. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Mass merchandising agreement: means an agreement between an insurer and an employer for the sale of insurance to the employees of the employer on a mass merchandising basis. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Motor vehicle: means a vehicle of a type required to be registered under chapter 286, including a vehicle with less than four wheels or a trailer. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- plan: means a program, design, or scheme of the insurance to be mass merchandised, including terms, coverages, and premiums. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:12-101
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.