(1) Any person who violates any provision of this chapter or the rules promulgated hereunder, or who shall impede, obstruct, hinder or otherwise prevent or attempt to prevent the director or his duly authorized representative in the performance of his duty in connection with the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six (6) months, or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both.
Terms Used In Idaho Code 22-5110
- Department: means the Idaho state department of agriculture. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- Director: means the director of the Idaho state department of agriculture. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means any individual, firm, association, corporation, partnership or limited liability company. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- Receipt: means a warehouse receipt. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- Scale weight ticket: means a load slip, other than a receipt, given to a producer by a seed buyer for transfer of the seed crop to the seed buyer. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- Seed buyer: means any person having a commercial operation, its agents and employees, together with its elevators, mills, buildings, or other structures who owes or has any financial obligation to the producer for seed crop grown by that producer and transferred to the seed buyer. See Idaho Code 22-5102
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114
(2) Any person operating as a seed buyer without a license or in any way representing, by actions or words, that they are so licensed when they are not, or any person who shall misrepresent, forge, alter, counterfeit or falsely represent a license as required by the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a felony and punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten (10) years, or by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both.
(3) Any person who shall issue, utter, or aid in the issuance or utterance or attempt to issue or utter a false or fraudulent receipt or scale weight ticket for any seed crop shall be guilty of a felony and punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten (10) years, or by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both.
(4) Any person violating any provision of this chapter, or rules promulgated under this chapter, may be assessed a civil penalty by the department equal to the loss for each offense or five hundred dollars ($500) a day for continuing violations. Persons against whom civil penalties are assessed shall be liable for the department’s reasonable attorney’s fees. Civil penalties may be assessed in conjunction with any other department administrative action. Moneys collected for violations of this section or rules promulgated under this section shall be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the seed indemnity fund.
(5) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as requiring the director to report minor violations for prosecution when he believes that the public interest will be best served by suitable warnings or other administrative action. The director shall maintain a record of any administrative action involving a seed buyer with that seed buyer’s license file.