Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 18 > Chapter 80
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- ignition interlock system: means breath alcohol ignition interlock device, including a camera, certified by the transportation department, designed to prevent a motor vehicle from being operated by a person who has consumed an alcoholic beverage. See Idaho Code 18-8008
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action. State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. Testify: Answer questions in court. Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.