Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 54 > Chapter 28
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- board: as used in this chapter shall mean the state board of registration for professional geologists, hereinafter provided by this chapter. See Idaho Code 54-2802
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- geology: is a fundamental science dealing with the physical earth, the organisms, materials and structures composing the earth, the physical forces affecting the earth, and the utilization of the knowledge of the earth and its constituent rocks, minerals, liquids, gases and other materials insofar as these factors may influence the safety and public welfare. See Idaho Code 54-2802
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. professional geologist: as used in this chapter , shall mean a person who has been duly registered by the state board of registration for professional geologists. See Idaho Code 54-2802 Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. seal: includes an impression of such seal upon the paper, alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed thereto; or, alternatively, the seal may be the mark of a rubber stamp providing substantially the same information as the impression. See Idaho Code 73-111 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. Subpoena duces tecum: A command to a witness to produce documents. Testify: Answer questions in court.