Illinois Compiled Statutes > 720 ILCS 5 > Title III – Specific Offenses
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > 720 ILCS 5 > Title III - Specific Offenses
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- act of terrorism: means : (1) any act that is intended to cause or create a risk and does cause or create a risk of death or great bodily harm to one or more persons; (2) any act that disables or destroys the usefulness or operation of any communications system; (3) any act or any series of 2 or more acts committed in furtherance of a single intention, scheme, or design that disables or destroys the usefulness or operation of a computer network, computers, computer programs, or data used by any industry, by any class of business, or by 5 or more businesses or by the federal government, State government, any unit of local government, a public utility, a manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, a national defense contractor, or a manufacturer of chemical or biological products used in or in connection with agricultural production; (4) any act that disables or causes substantial damage to or destruction of any structure or facility used in or used in connection with ground, air, or water transportation; the production or distribution of electricity, gas, oil, or other fuel (except for acts that occur inadvertently and as the result of operation of the facility that produces or distributes electricity, gas, oil, or other fuel); the treatment of sewage or the treatment or distribution of water; or controlling the flow of any body of water; (5) any act that causes substantial damage to or destruction of livestock or to crops or a series of 2 or more acts committed in furtherance of a single intention, scheme, or design which, in the aggregate, causes substantial damage to or destruction of livestock or crops; (6) any act that causes substantial damage to or destruction of any hospital or any building or facility used by the federal government, State government, any unit of local government or by a national defense contractor or by a public utility, a manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, a manufacturer of chemical or biological products used in or in connection with agricultural production or the storage or processing of agricultural products or the preparation of agricultural products for food or food products intended for resale or for feed for livestock; (7) any act that causes substantial damage to any building containing 5 or more businesses of any type or to any building in which 10 or more people reside; (8) endangering the food supply; or (9) endangering the water supply. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Agricultural production: means the breeding and growing of livestock and crops. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Agricultural products: means crops and livestock. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Air rifle: means and includes any air gun, air pistol, spring gun, spring pistol, B-B gun, paint ball gun, pellet gun or any implement that is not a firearm which impels a breakable paint ball containing washable marking colors or, a pellet constructed of hard plastic, steel, lead or other hard materials with a force that reasonably is expected to cause bodily harm. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/24.8-0.1
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Aquaculture: means the controlled propagation, growth and harvest of aquatic organisms, including but not limited to fish, shellfish, mollusks, crustaceans, algae and other aquatic plants, by an aquaculturist. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-15.4-5
- Aquatic products: means any aquatic plants and animals or their by-products that are produced, grown, managed, harvested and marketed on an annual, semi-annual, biennial or short-term basis, in permitted aquaculture facilities. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-15.4-5
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- artificially made or reclaimed land: as used in this Division 123, includes all land which formerly was submerged under the public waters of the state, the title to which is in the state, and which has been artificially made or reclaimed in whole or in part contrary to law. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-123-1
- Ashes: means residue from fires used for cooking and for heating buildings. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-19-2
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Authority: means any Municipal Zoo Authority, as provided in this Division. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-48.3-2
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bailiff: a court officer who enforces the rules of behavior in courtrooms.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequeath: To gift property by will.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Biological products used in or in connection with agricultural production: includes , but is not limited to, seeds, plants, and DNA of plants or animals altered for use in crop or livestock breeding or production or which are sold, intended, designed, or produced for use in crop production or livestock breeding or production. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Board: includes a board, commission, authority, task force, or other similar body to which one or more members are appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, but does not include any subcommittee thereof, and where the member receives any form of compensation on a per meeting basis; this does not include reimbursement for actual travel or other expenses necessarily incurred in discharging the duties of the office. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 420/3B-5
- Board: means the governing and administrative body of any Municipal Zoo Authority, as provided in this Division. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-48.3-2
- Case law: The law as laid down in cases that have been decided in the decisions of the courts.
- Caucus: From the Algonquian Indian language, a caucus meant "to meet together." An informal organization of members of the legislature that exists to discuss issues of mutual concern and possibly to perform legislative research and policy planning for its members. There are regional, political or ideological, ethnic, and economic-based caucuses.
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Chief judge: The judge who has primary responsibility for the administration of a court but also decides cases; chief judges are determined by seniority.
- Circuit clerk: means clerk of the circuit court. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.26
- Circumstantial evidence: All evidence except eyewitness testimony.
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Code: means any municipal ordinance that pertains to or regulates: sanitation practices; forestry practices; the attachment of bills or notices to public property; the definition, identification and abatement of public nuisances; and the accumulation, disposal and transportation of garbage, refuse and other forms of solid waste in a municipality. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-19.2-1
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Computer: means a device that accepts, processes, stores, retrieves, or outputs data, and includes, but is not limited to, auxiliary storage and telecommunications devices. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Computer network: means a set of related, remotely connected devices and any communications facilities including more than one computer with the capability to transmit data among them through communication facilities. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Conservation management plan: means a plan approved by the Department of Natural Resources that specifies conservation and management practices, including uses that will be conducted to preserve and restore unimproved land. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 35 ILCS 200/10-405
- Contagious or infectious disease: means a specific disease designated by the Illinois Department of Agriculture as contagious or infectious under rules pertaining to the Illinois Diseased Animals Act. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- County board: means the board of county commissioners in counties not under township organization, and the board of supervisors in counties under township organization, and the board of commissioners of Cook County. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.07
- Crops: means plants raised for: (1) human consumption, (2) fruits that are intended for human consumption, (3) consumption by livestock, and (4) fruits that are intended for consumption by livestock. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Cross examine: Questioning of a witness by the attorney for the other side.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Data: means representations of information, knowledge, facts, concepts or instructions, including program documentation, that are prepared in a formalized manner and are stored or processed in or transmitted by a computer. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
- Dealer: means any person, copartnership, association or corporation engaged in the business of selling at retail or renting any of the articles included in the definition of "air rifle". See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/24.8-0.1
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- deception: means knowingly to:
(a) Create or confirm another's impression which is false and which the offender does not believe to be true; or
(b) Fail to correct a false impression which the offender previously has created or confirmed; or
(c) Prevent another from acquiring information pertinent to the disposition of the property involved; or
(d) Sell or otherwise transfer or encumber property, failing to disclose a lien, adverse claim, or other legal impediment to the enjoyment of the property, whether such impediment is or is not valid, or is or is not a matter of official record; or
(e) Promise performance which the offender does not intend to perform or knows will not be performed. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/15-4
- decree: is synonymous with the word "judgment". See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.24
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Children and Family Services. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 20 ILCS 510/510-5
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-15.4-5
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- electrical equipment: as used in this Division 37 means conductors and other equipment installed for the utilization of electricity for light, heat, or power. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 65 ILCS 5/11-37-1
- Electronic communication: includes transmissions through an electronic device including, but not limited to, a telephone, cellular phone, computer, or pager, which communication includes, but is not limited to, e-mail, instant message, text message, or voice mail. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/26.5-0.1
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Endangering the food supply: means to knowingly:
(1) bring into this State any domestic animal that
is affected with any contagious or infectious disease or any animal that has been exposed to any contagious or infectious disease;
(2) expose any animal in this State to any contagious
or infectious disease;
(3) deliver any poultry that is infected with any
contagious or infectious disease to any poultry producer pursuant to a production contract;
(4) except as permitted under the Insect Pest and
Plant Disease Act, bring or release into this State any insect pest or expose any plant to an insect pest; or
(5) expose any raw agricultural commodity, animal
feed, or processed food to any contaminant or contagious or infectious disease. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/29D-10
(1) any partnership, corporation, association,
(2) any group of individuals or other legal entities,