Illinois Compiled Statutes > 725 ILCS 240 – Violent Crime Victims Assistance Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > 725 ILCS 240 - Violent Crime Victims Assistance Act
- Acquire: includes to purchase, erect, build, construct, reconstruct, complete, repair, replace, alter, extend, better, equip, develop, and improve a project, including the acquisition and clearing of a site or sites therefor. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 110 ILCS 676/21-5
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Board: means the Board of Trustees of the University or its successor. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 110 ILCS 676/21-5
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Federal agency: means the United States of America, the President of the United States of America, or such agency or agencies of the United States of America as may be designated or created to make loans or grants or both. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 110 ILCS 676/21-5
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Heretofore: means any time previous to the day on which the statute takes effect; and the word "hereafter" at any time after such day. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.17
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Project: means and includes revenue producing buildings, structures and facilities which, as determined by the Board, are required by, or necessary for the use or benefit of, such University, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, student residence halls; apartments; staff housing facilities; dormitories; health, hospital or medical facilities; dining halls; student union buildings; field houses; stadiums; physical education installations and facilities; auditoriums; facilities for student or staff services; any facility or building leased to the United States of America; off-street parking facilities; heretofore, or as may be hereafter, acquired, with all equipment and appurtenant facilities; or any one, or more than one, or all, of the foregoing, or any combination thereof, for such University. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 110 ILCS 676/21-5
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- sworn: shall be construed to include the word "affirmed. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.12
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- University: means and includes Illinois State University, located at Normal, Illinois, and its branches. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 110 ILCS 676/21-5