Illinois Compiled Statutes > Chapter 5 > Commemorative Dates
Current as of: 2023 | Check for updates | Other versions
|5 ILCS 490||State Commemorative Dates Act|
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > Chapter 5 > Commemorative Dates
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- combined waterworks and sewerage system: means and includes a waterworks and sewerage system, as hereinabove defined, which any county shall determine to operate in combination. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 55 ILCS 5/5-15002
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- Month: means a calendar month, and the word "year" a calendar year unless otherwise expressed; and the word "year" alone, is equivalent to the expression "year of our Lord. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.10
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- sewerage system: means and includes any or all of the following: Sewerage treatment plant or plants, collecting, intercepting, and outlet sewers, lateral sewers and drains, including combined storm water and sanitary drains, force mains, conduits, pumping stations, ejector stations, and all other appurtenances, extensions and improvements necessary, useful or convenient for the collection, treatment and disposal in a sanitary manner of storm water, sanitary sewage and industrial wastes. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 55 ILCS 5/5-15002
- sworn: shall be construed to include the word "affirmed. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.12
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- waste management: means the process of storage, treatment or disposal, but not the hauling or transport, of "waste" as defined in § 3. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 55 ILCS 5/5-15002
- waterworks system: means and includes a waterworks system in its entirety, or any integral part thereof, including mains, hydrants, meters, valves, standpipes, storage tanks, pumps, tanks, intakes, wells, impounding reservoirs, machinery, purification plants, softening apparatus, and all other elements useful in connection with a water supply or water distribution system. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 55 ILCS 5/5-15002