|Chapter 2||Uniform Warehouse Receipts Act|
|Chapter 4||Illegal Issuance of Receipts|
|Chapter 7||Indiana Grain Buyers and Warehouse Licensing and Bonding Law|
|Chapter 8||Self-Service Storage Facilities|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 26 > Article 3
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- default: means the failure of a renter to perform, in a timely fashion, any duty imposed by section 10 of this chapter or by a rental agreement. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-1
- electronic mail: means the transmission, by use of a computer or through other electronic means, of information or a communication that is sent to a person identified by a unique address. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-0.5
- emergency: means any sudden, unexpected occurrence or circumstance at or near a self-service storage facility that requires immediate action to avoid injury to persons or property at or near the self-service storage facility. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-2
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executive session: A portion of the Senate's daily session in which it considers executive business.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- last known address: means the postal address or electronic mail address provided to the owner by the renter:
Indiana Code 26-3-8-3
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- owner: means :
Indiana Code 26-3-8-6
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- personal property: means movable property not affixed to land. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-7
- Probate: Proving a will
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- rental agreement: means any written agreement or lease that establishes or modifies the terms under which a renter may store personal property in a rented space in a self-service storage facility. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-8
- rented space: means the individual storage space at a self-service storage facility that is rented to a renter under a rental agreement. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-4
- renter: means :
Indiana Code 26-3-8-5
- self-service storage facility: means any real property designed and used for the renting of space under a rental agreement that provides a renter access to rented space for the storage and retrieval of personal property. See Indiana Code 26-3-8-9
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- verified mail: means any method of mailing that:
Indiana Code 26-3-8-9.5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5