Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 4 > Article 10 - State Funds Generally
- academy: refers to the Indiana academy for science, mathematics, and humanities established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-3-2
- acquiring school corporation: means the school corporation that acquires territory as a result of annexation. See Indiana Code 20-23-5-1
- acquiring school corporation: means the school corporation that acquires territory as a result of annexation. See Indiana Code 20-25-5-1
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- annexed territory: means the territory acquired by an acquiring school corporation as a result of annexation from a losing school corporation. See Indiana Code 20-23-5-3
- annexed territory: means the territory acquired by an acquiring school corporation as a result of annexation from a losing school corporation. See Indiana Code 20-25-5-3
- annexing corporation: refers to a school corporation that has annexed all or part of any territory of a township school. See Indiana Code 20-23-9-1
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- board of trustees: has the meaning set forth in IC 21-7-13-9. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-1-3
- board of trustees: has the meaning set forth in IC 21-7-13-9. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-2-2
- board of trustees: refers to the board of trustees for the Vincennes University. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-5-2
- Budget director: refers to the director of the budget agency established under IC 4-12-1. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Bureau: means the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the United States Department of Commerce or its successor agency. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- child: means a person who:
Indiana Code 4-13-19-1
- circuit court: means :
Indiana Code 20-23-8-1
- civil city: means a civil city or a civil town, the area of which, or the major part of the area of which, is under the jurisdiction of a school city. See Indiana Code 20-25-5-5
- clerk: means :
Indiana Code 20-23-8-2
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- commission: refers to the Indiana motorsports commission created under IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-2
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- concurrent resolutions: means substantially identical resolutions adopted by the governing bodies of the school corporations in a county. See Indiana Code 20-23-10-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- contract: refers to a contract made under this chapter between a state educational institution and a school corporation to educate part or all of the students of one (1) or more school corporations in a university administered school. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-1-4
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Costs: means the cost of construction, equipment, land, property rights (including leasehold interests), easements, franchises, leases, financing charges, interest costs during and for a reasonable period after construction, architectural, engineering, legal, and other consulting or advisory services, plans, specifications, surveys, cost estimates, and other costs or expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, development, construction, financing, and operating of an economic growth initiative. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- county election board: means :
Indiana Code 20-23-8-3
- credit: refers to a credit provided to the owner or owners of the qualified motorsports facility for the preceding state fiscal year under section 12 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-3
- Current calendar year: means a calendar year during which a transfer to or from the fund is initially determined under sections 4 and 5 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Current reporting period: means the most recent reporting period for which the following information is published by the bureau:
Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- district: refers to a motorsports investment district established under IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-4
- Economic growth initiative: means :
Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- energy cost savings contract: has the meaning set forth in IC 4-13. See Indiana Code 4-13.5-1.5-10.5
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- executive: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-1-2-5(2). See Indiana Code 20-24-2.3-2
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fund: means the counter-cyclical revenue and economic stabilization fund established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- General fund revenue: means all general purpose tax revenue and other unrestricted general purpose revenue of the state, including federal revenue sharing monies, credited to the state general fund and from which appropriations may be made. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- governing body: means the board or commission charged by law with the responsibility of administering the affairs of a school corporation, including a board of school commissioners, metropolitan board of education, board of school trustees, or board of trustees. See Indiana Code 20-23-10-2
- government information: refers to any information created, received, maintained, or stored by or otherwise in the control of a governmental entity, regardless of the form or the media on which the information is recorded. See Indiana Code 2-5-1.7-3
- governmental body: has the meaning set forth in IC 4-13. See Indiana Code 4-13.5-1.5-10.6
- governmental entity: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 2-5-1.7-2
- grammar school: refers to the grammar school established by Vincennes University under this chapter. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-5-3
- gross retail base period amount: means the aggregate amount of state gross retail and use taxes remitted under IC 6-2. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-5
- gross retail incremental amount: means the remainder of:
Indiana Code 4-10-23-6
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Highway: includes county bridges and state and county roads, unless otherwise expressly provided. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Implicit price deflator for the gross domestic product: means the implicit price deflator for the gross domestic product, or its closest equivalent, which is available from the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- income tax base period amount: means the aggregate amount of state adjusted gross income taxes paid or remitted by or on behalf of a taxpayer during the calendar year of 2012 with respect to income earned or attributable to the taxpayer's activities in the district. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-7
- income tax incremental amount: means the remainder of:
Indiana Code 4-10-23-8
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- interim: refers to the part of a year that begins immediately after the day that a regular session of the general assembly adjourns sine die and ends immediately before the day that the next regular session of the general assembly convenes. See Indiana Code 2-5-1.3-1
- Joint meeting: An occasion, often ceremonial, when the House and Senate each adopt a unanimous consent agreement
- Joint resolution: A legislative measure which requires the approval of both chambers.
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- laboratory school: refers to a preschool, an elementary school, or a high school described in section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-2-3
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- losing school corporation: means a school corporation that loses territory to an acquiring school corporation by annexation. See Indiana Code 20-23-5-4
- losing school corporation: means a school corporation that loses territory to an acquiring school corporation by annexation. See Indiana Code 20-25-5-6
- merger: means the merger of all the school corporations in a county into a single school corporation in which the rights and obligations of each school corporation, including the right to receive tax and other money, are transferred into a new corporation to be known in this chapter as the merged corporation. See Indiana Code 20-23-10-3
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- ombudsman: means :
Indiana Code 4-13-19-2
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- personal liability: means liability incurred by a teacher in the performance of the teacher's duties. See Indiana Code 4-13-20-1
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- plan: means the manner in which the governing body of a school corporation is constituted, including the number, qualifications, length of terms, manner, and time of selection, either by appointment or by election of the members of the governing body. See Indiana Code 20-23-8-4
- Political subdivision: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-1-2-13. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Qualified economic growth initiative: means an economic growth initiative that is:
Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- qualified energy savings project: has the meaning set forth in IC 4-13. See Indiana Code 4-13.5-1.5-10.7
- qualified motorsports facility: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-9
- qualified provider: has the meaning set forth in IC 4-13. See Indiana Code 4-13.5-1.5-10.8
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- real property: include lands, tenements, and hereditaments. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Reporting period: refers to a period of twelve (12) consecutive months. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- school: refers to a charter school or an innovation network school described in section 1(a)(2) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 20-24-13-2
- school city: means a school corporation that at any time:
Indiana Code 20-25-5-8
- school corporation: means :
Indiana Code 20-23-5-6
- school corporation: means a local public school corporation established under the laws of Indiana. See Indiana Code 20-23-8-5
- school corporation: means a school corporation that is located in a city having a population of more than twelve thousand five hundred (12,500) but less than twelve thousand seven hundred (12,700). See Indiana Code 20-23-14-2
- school corporation: means a public school corporation of the state located in whole or in part in a county containing a consolidated city. See Indiana Code 20-25-5-9
- school corporation in the county: means all the school corporations that have territory in a county. See Indiana Code 20-23-10-4
- school for the arts: refers to the Indiana school for the arts established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-4-2
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State personal income: means state personal income as that term is defined by the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- state spending cap: refers to the state spending cap determined under section 2 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-21-1
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- study committee: means an interim study committee established by section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 2-5-1.3-3
- subunit: refers to the geographic territory of a school corporation as the school corporation exists at the time the school corporation consolidates with one (1) or more other school corporations under section 12. See Indiana Code 20-23-6-0.5
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- teacher: means a professional person whose:
Indiana Code 4-13-20-2
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- township: refers to a township where any part of a township school was located. See Indiana Code 20-23-9-2
- township school: refers to :
Indiana Code 20-23-9-3
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Transfer payments: means current personal transfer receipts as that term is defined by the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- trustees: means the:
Indiana Code 20-23-6-1
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- university administered school: refers to a preschool, an elementary school, or a high school established by a state educational institution in a county in Indiana where the state educational institution is located to instruct children in the county in the subjects and branches of learning taught in the public schools. See Indiana Code 20-24.5-1-5
- Variable Rate: Having a "variable" rate means that the APR changes from time to time based on fluctuations in an external rate, normally the Prime Rate. This external rate is known as the "index." If the index changes, the variable rate normally changes. Also see Fixed Rate.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5