1. It is the policy of this state to provide for the rehabilitation and conservation of land affected by coal mining and preserve natural resources, protect and perpetuate the taxable value of property, and protect and promote the health and safety of the people of this state.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 207.1
- Permit: means a permit to conduct surface coal mining and reclamation operations issued by the division. See Iowa Code 207.2
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. The general assembly finds and declares that because the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977, Pub. L. No. 95-87, codified at 30 U.S.C. ch. 25, subch. IV, provides for a permit system to regulate the mining of coal and reclamation of the mining sites and provides that permits may be issued by states which are authorized to implement the provisions of that Act, it is in the interest of the people of Iowa to enact the provisions of this chapter in order to authorize the state to implement the provisions of the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 and federal regulations and guidelines issued pursuant to that Act.