1. A person shall not assist a certified real estate appraiser in the development or reporting of an appraisal assignment that is required by this chapter, or by federal or state law, rule, or policy to be performed by a certified real estate appraiser, unless the person meets one or more of the following conditions:
a. The person is certified under this chapter.
b. The person is registered as an associate real estate appraiser and is acting under the direct supervision of a certified real estate appraiser.
c. The person is solely providing administrative services, such as taking photographs, preparing charts, or typing reports, and is not providing real estate appraisal assistance in developing the analysis, valuation, opinions, or conclusions associated with the appraisal assignment.
d. The person is providing professional consultation that does not constitute real property appraisal assistance, such as the assistance of a professional engineer or certified public accountant.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 543D.20
- analysis: is a study of real estate or real property other than estimating value. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appraisal assignment: means an engagement for which an appraiser is employed or retained to act, or would be perceived by third parties or the public as acting as a disinterested third party in rendering an appraisal, valuation, or analysis. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- Appraisal foundation: means the appraisal foundation incorporated as an Illinois not-for-profit corporation on November 30, 1987. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- Associate real estate appraiser: means a person who may not yet fully meet the requirements for certification but who is providing significant input into the appraisal development under the direction of a certified appraiser. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- Board: means the real estate appraiser examining board established pursuant to this chapter. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- certified real estate appraiser: means a person who develops and communicates real estate appraisals and who holds a current, valid certificate for appraisals of types of real estate which may include residential, commercial, or rural real estate, as may be established under this chapter. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- real estate appraisal: means an analysis, opinion, or conclusion relating to the nature, quality, value, or utility of specified interests in, or aspects of, identified real estate. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- Rule: includes "regulation". See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- valuation: is a n estimate of the value of real estate or real property. See Iowa Code 543D.2
2. The board shall establish by rule the terms and conditions of the registration of associate real estate appraisers, including the educational and other prerequisites to registration, the fees for registration and the renewal of registration, and the continuing education requirements for renewal of registration. The board shall consider and may incorporate any guidelines recommended by the appraisal qualifications board of the appraisal foundation relating to associate real estate appraisers.
3. The board shall adopt rules governing the manner in which certified real estate appraisers shall directly supervise associate real estate appraisers, the standards of conduct for associate real estate appraisers, and the grounds for imposing discipline against an associate real estate appraiser which shall include all of the grounds provided in section 543D.17.
4. Associate real estate appraisers shall be bound by the uniform appraisal standards adopted by the board under this chapter.
5. Persons who appraise real estate where certification is not required by this chapter or by federal or state law, rule, or policy, and who are not assisting a certified real estate appraiser in the development or reporting of an appraisal assignment that is required by this chapter, or by federal or state law, rule, or policy to be performed by a certified real estate appraiser, are not required to register with the board.