1. The purpose of this chapter is to establish standards for real estate appraisals and a procedure for the voluntary certification of real estate appraisers and the mandatory registration of associate real estate appraisers.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 543D.3
- Associate real estate appraiser: means a person who may not yet fully meet the requirements for certification but who is providing significant input into the appraisal development under the direction of a certified appraiser. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- certified real estate appraiser: means a person who develops and communicates real estate appraisals and who holds a current, valid certificate for appraisals of types of real estate which may include residential, commercial, or rural real estate, as may be established under this chapter. See Iowa Code 543D.2
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Rule: includes "regulation". See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. A person who is not a certified real estate appraiser under this chapter may appraise real estate for compensation if certification is not required by this chapter or by federal or state law, rule, or policy. However, an employee of the state department of transportation whose duties include appraisals of property pursuant to chapter 6B must be a certified real estate appraiser under this chapter or a registered associate real estate appraiser acting under the direct supervision of a certified real estate appraiser.