Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 74-8703
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Executive director: means the executive director of the Kansas lottery. See Kansas Statutes 74-8702
- Kansas lottery: means the state agency created by this act to operate a lottery or lotteries pursuant to this act. See Kansas Statutes 74-8702
- Person: means any natural person, association, limited liability company, corporation or partnership. See Kansas Statutes 74-8702
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- state lottery: means the lottery or lotteries operated pursuant to this act. See Kansas Statutes 74-8702
(a) There is hereby established an independent state agency to be called the Kansas lottery, the head of which shall be the executive director of the Kansas lottery. Under the supervision of the executive director, the Kansas lottery shall administer the state lottery as provided in this act. The overall management of the state lottery and control over the operation of its games shall rest solely with the Kansas lottery.
(b) The executive director shall be appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by the senate as provided by K.S.A. 75-4315b, and amendments thereto. Except as provided by K.S.A. 46-2601, and amendments thereto, no person appointed as executive director shall exercise any power, duty or function as executive director until confirmed by the senate. The executive director shall be in the unclassified service and shall receive an annual salary fixed by the governor, subject to the limitations of appropriations therefor.
(c) The executive director shall appoint persons to the following positions to serve as full-time employees of the state in the unclassified service with compensation fixed by the executive director and approved by the governor, subject to the limitations of appropriations therefor:
(1) A deputy executive director;
(2) a director of security;
(3) a director of administration;
(4) a director of sales and such professional sales related positions as may be necessary within the sales division;
(5) a director of marketing and such professional marketing related positions as may be necessary within the marketing division; and
(6) one personal secretary and one special assistant to the executive director.
(d) Until such time as the Kansas lottery begins the operation of its games, temporary staffing, budgeting, purchasing and related management functions shall be provided by the Kansas department of revenue and other state agencies as directed by the governor to achieve maximum coordination in the planning and implementation of the Kansas lottery.
(e) For a period of 18 months after the effective date of this act, the state director of purchases, upon request of the executive director, shall make emergency purchases, other than purchases of major procurements, on behalf of the Kansas lottery pursuant to subsection (a)(5) of K.S.A. 75-3739, and amendments thereto, when the timely implementation of the Kansas lottery requires the immediate delivery of supplies, materials or equipment or the immediate performance of services. The award of any contract for any such purchase shall be subject to the approval of the executive director.