Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 75-6115
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
(a) The Kansas tort claims act shall not be applicable to claims arising from the rendering of or failure to render professional services by a health care provider other than:
(1) A charitable health care provider;
(2) a hospital owned by a municipality and the employees thereof;
(3) a local health department and the employees thereof;
(4) an indigent health care clinic and the employees thereof;
(5) a district coroner or deputy district coroner appointed pursuant to K.S.A. 22a-226, and amendments thereto; or
(6) a community mental health center and the employees thereof.
(b) Claims for damages against a health care provider that is a governmental entity or an employee of a governmental entity other than those health care providers enumerated in subsection (a), arising out of the rendering of or failure to render professional services by such health care provider, may be recovered in the same manner as claims for damages against any other health care provider.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) “Indigent health care clinic” shall have the meaning ascribed to such term under K.S.A. 75-6102, and amendments thereto.
(2) “Charitable health care provider” shall have the meaning ascribed to such term under K.S.A. 75-6102, and amendments thereto.
(3) “Health care provider” shall have the meaning ascribed to such term under K.S.A. 40-3401, and amendments thereto.
(4) “Hospital” means a medical care facility as defined in K.S.A. 65-425, and amendments thereto, and includes within its meaning any clinic, school of nursing, long-term care facility, child-care facility and emergency medical or ambulance service operated in connection with the operation of the medical care facility.
(5) “Local health department” shall have the meaning ascribed to such term under K.S.A. 65-241, and amendments thereto.