|§ 47-1401||Humane methods; state policy|
|§ 47-1402||Same; definitions|
|§ 47-1403||Same; unlawful acts|
|§ 47-1404||Same; certain method of slaughter declared inhumane|
|§ 47-1405||Same; penalties for violations of act|
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 47 > Article 14
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Domesticated deer: means any member of the family cervidae which was legally obtained and is being sold or raised in a confined area for breeding stock; for any carcass, skin or part of such animal; for exhibition; or for companionship. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- Humane method: means either: (a) A method whereby the animal is rendered insensible to pain by mechanical, electrical, chemical, or other means that is rapid and effective, before being shackled, hoisted, thrown, cast, or cut; or (b) a method in accordance with ritual requirements of the Jewish faith or any other religious faith whereby the animal suffers loss of consciousness by anemia of the brain caused by the simultaneous and instantaneous severance of the carotid arteries with a sharp instrument. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- Livestock: means cattle, calves, sheep, swine, horses, mules, goats, aquatic animals, domesticated deer, all creatures of the ratite family that are not indigenous to this state, including but not limited to ostriches, emus and rheas, and any other animal which can or may be used in and for the preparation of meat or meat products. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Packer: means any person engaged in the business of slaughtering of livestock. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any individual, partnership, corporation, or association doing business in this state, in whole or in part. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- Slaughterer: means any person regularly engaged in the commercial slaughtering of livestock. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Stockyard: means any place, establishment, or facility commonly known as a stockyard, conducted or operated for compensation or profit as a public market, consisting of pens, or other enclosures, and their appurtenances, for the handling, keeping, and holding of livestock for the purpose of sale or shipment. See Kansas Statutes 47-1402