|§ 77-201||Rules of construction|
|§ 77-203||Notice; certified mail in lieu of registered mail; sufficiency|
|§ 77-204||Short title|
|§ 77-205||Determination of death|
|§ 77-206||Uniformity of construction and application|
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 77 > Article 2
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Conservatee: means a person who has a conservator. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Conservator: means an individual or corporation appointed by the court to act on behalf of a conservatee and possessed of some or all of the powers and duties set out in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Guardian: means an individual or a nonprofit corporation certified in accordance with K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Manufactured home: means a structure which:
(1) Is transportable in one or more sections which, in the traveling mode, is 8 body feet or more in width or 40 body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical systems contained therein; and
(2) is subject to the federal manufactured home construction and safety standards established pursuant to 42 U. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Mentally ill person: means a mentally ill person as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Minor: means any person defined by K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Natural guardian: means both the biological or adoptive mother and father of a minor if neither parent has been found to be an adult with an impairment in need of a guardian or has had parental rights terminated by a court of competent jurisdiction. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Oath: includes an affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in similar cases "swear" includes affirm. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- road: include public bridges and may be construed to be equivalent to "county way" "county road" "common road" "state road" and "territorial road. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- seal: includes an impression of the seal upon the paper alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed to the paper. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Ward: means a person who has a guardian. See Kansas Statutes 77-201