Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 202B
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attorney: means attorney-at-law. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Authorized staff physician: means a person who is employed as a physician of an
ICF/ID. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Cabinet: means the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Company: may extend and be applied to any corporation, company, person, partnership, joint stock company, or association. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- Hospital: means :
(a) A state mental hospital or institution or other licensed public or private hospital, institution, health-care facility, or part thereof, approved by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services as equipped to provide full- time residential care and treatment for mentally ill persons or individuals with an intellectual disability. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Individual with an intellectual disability: means a person with significantly subaverage general intellectual functioning existing concurrently with deficits in adaptive behavior and manifested during the developmental period. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Interdisciplinary team: means the group of persons responsible for the diagnosis, evaluation, and individualized program planning and service implementation for the resident. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Judge: means any judge or justice of the Court of Justice or a trial commissioner of the District Court acting under authority of SCR 5. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Least restrictive alternative mode of treatment: means that treatment given in the least confining setting which will provide an individual with an intellectual disability appropriate treatment or care consistent with accepted professional practice. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Petitioner: means a person who institutes a proceeding under this chapter. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Preliminary hearing: A hearing where the judge decides whether there is enough evidence to make the defendant have a trial.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Qualified professional in the area of intellectual disabilities: means :
(a) A physician licensed under the laws of Kentucky to practice medicine or osteopathy, or a medical officer of the government of the United States while engaged in the performance of official duties. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Resident: means a person under care or treatment in an ICF/ID pursuant to the provisions of this chapter. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Respondent: means a person alleged in a hearing under this chapter to be an individual with an intellectual disability. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- Secretary: shall mean the secretary of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. See Kentucky Statutes 202B.010
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Sworn: includes "affirmed" in all cases in which an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Treatment: when used in a criminal justice context, means targeted interventions that focus on criminal risk factors in order to reduce the likelihood of criminal behavior. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- Year: means calendar year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010