Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 519
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- benefit: means gain or advantage to the beneficiary or to a third person pursuant to the desire or consent of the beneficiary. See Kentucky Statutes 519.010
- Corporation: may extend and be applied to any corporation, company, partnership, joint stock company, or association. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Governmental function: means any activity which a public servant is legally authorized to undertake on behalf of the governmental unit which he serves. See Kentucky Statutes 519.010
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public record: includes all books, papers, maps, photographs, cards, tapes, discs, diskettes, recordings, magnetic or electronic images, optical images or other documentary materials regardless of physical form or characteristics, which are prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, received or retained by a public agency. See Kentucky Statutes 519.010
- Public servant: means :
(a) Any public officer or employee of the state or of any political subdivision thereof or of any governmental instrumentality within the state. See Kentucky Statutes 519.010
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010