Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3574.2
- Consumer: means a natural person who purchases goods, services, or movable or immovable property or rights therein, for a personal, family, or household purpose and includes a purchaser or buyer in a consumer credit sale or transaction made with the use of a seller credit card or otherwise, or a borrower or debtor in a consumer loan, revolving loan account, or a lender credit card. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Consumer loan: means a loan of money or its equivalent made by a supervised financial organization, a licensed lender, or lender in which the debtor is a consumer, and the loan is entered into primarily for personal, family, or household purposes and includes debts created by the use of a lender credit card, revolving loan account, or similar arrangement, as well as insurance premium financing. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Credit card: means any card, plate, coupon book, or other single credit device that may be used from time to time to obtain credit. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Organization: means corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, trust, estate, partnership, cooperative, or association. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Person: as used in this Chapter means an individual or corporation, partnership, trust, association, joint venture pool, syndicate, sole proprietorship, unincorporated organization, or any other form of entity not specifically listed herein. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Principal: means the amount financed or amount deferred under a consumer credit transaction. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
- Supervised financial organization: means either of the following:
(a) A banking or similar organization organized, certified, and supervised by an agency of either the United States of America or the state of Louisiana or any other state pursuant to the banking, currency, and related laws of the United States of America or of the state of Louisiana or any other state. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3516
As used in this Part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Advance fee” means any consideration which is assessed or collected prior to the issuance of a written commitment to make a loan that is binding on the lender, provided that certain conditions precedent are satisfied.
(2) “Borrower” means a person obtaining or desiring to obtain a loan of money, a credit card, or a line of credit.
(3) “Loan originator or broker” means any person, except any regulated or supervised financial organization, credit union, licensed commercial or consumer lender, insurance company, consumer loan broker, or mortgage broker or lender, provided that the person excepted is licensed or registered with and subject to regulation or supervision by an agency of the United States or any state and is acting within the scope of the license, charter, or other permit, who:
(a) For, or in expectation of, consideration paid by the borrower, directly or indirectly arranges or attempts to arrange, or offers to fund or make a loan of money, a credit card, or a line of credit.
(b) For, or in expectation of, consideration paid by the borrower, assists or advises a borrower, wherever located, in obtaining or attempting to obtain a loan of money, a credit card, a line of credit, or a related guarantee, enhancement, or collateral of any kind or nature.
(c) Acts for, or on behalf of, a loan broker for the purpose of soliciting borrowers.
(d) Holds himself out as a loan broker.
(4) “Office” means the Office of Financial Institutions in the office of the governor.
(5) “Person” means an individual or corporation, partnership, trust, association, joint venture pool, syndicate, sole proprietorship, unincorporated organization, or any other form of entity not specifically listed herein. A “person” shall not include an agency or instrumentality established or chartered under the laws of the United States.
(6) “Principal” means any officer, director, owner, sole proprietor, partner, member, joint venturer, manager, or other person with similar managerial or supervisory responsibilities for a person who makes or offers to make or broker loans, whatever his job title.
Added by Acts 1992, No. 346, §1, eff. June 17, 1992. Amended by Acts 1993, No. 283, §1, eff. July 1, 1993; Acts 2001, No. 8, §4, eff. July 1, 2001; Acts 2001, No. 9, §2, eff. July 1, 2001.