(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who violates this part is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.
(2) A person who harvests, cuts, or removes forest products having a value of more than $2,500.00 in violation of this part is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 3 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 324.51120
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, governmental entity, or other legal entity. See Michigan Laws 324.301
(3) Upon conviction for a violation of this part, the court may declassify all or a portion of the commercial forest pursuant to section 51116.