(1) A consumer reporting agency shall place a security freeze on a consumer’s credit report if all of the following are met:
(a) The consumer reporting agency receives a request from the consumer for the placement of the security freeze under this act.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 445.2521
- Consumer: means an individual who resides in this state. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Consumer reporting agency: means any person that, for monetary fees or dues or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing credit reports to third parties and that uses any means or facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing credit reports. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Credit report: means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency that is related to a consumer's creditworthiness, credit standing, or credit capacity, and is issued or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for credit. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Security freeze: means a restriction placed on a consumer's credit report at the request of the consumer that prohibits a consumer reporting agency from releasing the consumer's credit report or any information derived from the consumer's credit report without the express authorization of or on behalf of the consumer. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Sufficient proof of identification: means information or documentation that identifies a consumer, a protected consumer, or a representative of a protected consumer, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
(i) A social security number or a copy of a social security card issued by the social security administration. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
(b) The consumer does all of the following:
(i) Submits the request described in subdivision (a) to the consumer reporting agency at the address or other point of contact and in the manner specified by the consumer reporting agency.
(ii) Provides to the consumer reporting agency sufficient proof of identification of the consumer.
(iii) Pays to the consumer reporting agency the appropriate fee under section 31.
(2) Within 5 business days after receiving a request that meets the requirements of subsection (1), a consumer reporting agency shall place a security freeze for the consumer.