Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 432 > Act 74 of 1997
- Affiliate: means a person who, directly or indirectly, through 1 or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with; is in a partnership or joint venture relationship with; or is a co-shareholder of a corporation, a co-member of a limited liability company, or co-partner in a limited liability partnership with a person who holds or applies for a casino license under this act. See Michigan Laws 432.272
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Casino enterprise: means the buildings, facilities, or rooms functionally or physically connected to a casino, including but not limited to any bar, restaurant, hotel, cocktail lounge, retail establishment, or arena, or any other facility located in a city under the control of a casino licensee or an affiliate of a casino licensee company. See Michigan Laws 432.272
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the department of state. See Michigan Laws 432.272
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual, limited liability company, proprietorship, firm, partnership, joint venture, syndicate, business trust, labor organization, company, corporation, association, committee, governmental entity, or other legal entity. See Michigan Laws 432.272
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- Person holding a casino interest: includes all of the following:
(i) A person who holds at least a 1% interest in a casino licensee or casino enterprise. See Michigan Laws 432.272
Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o United States: shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.