(a) A victim has the right to request that the prosecutor make a demand under rule 11.09 of the Rules of Criminal Procedure that the trial be commenced within 60 days of the demand. The prosecutor shall make reasonable efforts to comply with the victim’s request.
Terms Used In Minnesota Statutes 611A.033
- Adult: means an individual 18 years of age or older. See Minnesota Statutes 645.451
- complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- state: extends to and includes the District of Columbia and the several territories. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- testify: Answer questions in court.
- trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
(b) A prosecutor shall make reasonable efforts to provide advance notice of any change in the schedule of the court proceedings to a victim who has been subpoenaed or requested to testify.
(c) In a criminal proceeding in which a vulnerable adult, as defined in section 609.232, subdivision 11, is a victim, the state may move the court for a speedy trial. The court, after consideration of the age and health of the victim, may grant a speedy trial. The motion may be filed and served with the complaint or any time after the complaint is filed and served.