(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a qualified person need not be a resident of the county when he or she files for election as county attorney, but if elected as county attorney, such person shall reside in a county for which he or she holds office, except that a county attorney serving in a county which does not have a city of the metropolitan, primary, or first class may reside in an adjoining Nebraska county.
Terms Used In Nebraska Statutes 23-1201.01
- Attorney: shall mean attorney at law. See Nebraska Statutes 49-801
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Person: shall include bodies politic and corporate, societies, communities, the public generally, individuals, partnerships, limited liability companies, joint-stock companies, and associations. See Nebraska Statutes 49-801
- Person shall: include bodies politic and corporate, societies, communities, the public generally, individuals, partnerships, limited liability companies, joint-stock companies, and associations. See Nebraska Statutes 49-801
(2) If there is no county attorney elected pursuant to section 32-522 or if a vacancy occurs for any other reason, the county board of such county may appoint a qualified attorney from any Nebraska county to the office of county attorney. In making such appointment, the county board shall negotiate a contract with the attorney, such contract to specify the terms and conditions of the appointment, including the compensation of the attorney, which compensation shall not be subject to sections 23-1114.02 to 23-1114.06 .
- Laws 1943, c. 60, § 1, p. 234;
- R.S.1943, § 23-1201.01;
- Laws 1971, LB 109, § 1;
- Laws 1986, LB 812, § 2;
- Laws 1993, LB 468, § 1;
- Laws 1994, LB 76, § 541;
- Laws 1995, LB 669, § 1;
- Laws 1996, LB 1085, § 30;
- Laws 2003, LB 84, § 1.