Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 118 – Discrimination in Housing; Landlord and Tenant
|Discrimination in Housing||118.010 – 118.120|
|Property Taxes Paid by Landlord||118.165|
|Abandonment of Real Property by Tenant||118.171 – 118.205|
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 118 - Discrimination in Housing; Landlord and Tenant
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Authorized representative: means a person designated by a public body to be responsible for the development, solicitation, award or administration of contracts for public works pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Charter school: means a public school that is formed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 388A of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Consignee: means a person named in a bill of lading to which or to whose order the bill promises delivery. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Contract: means a written contract entered into between a contractor and a public body for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means :
(a) A person who is licensed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 624 of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Council: means the State Council on Libraries and Literacy. See Nevada Revised Statutes 380A.021
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Division: means the State Public Works Division of the Department of Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of a local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Homeschooled child: means a child who receives instruction at home and who is exempt from compulsory attendance pursuant to NRS 392. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Issuer: means a bailee that issues a document of title or, in the case of an unaccepted delivery order, the person that orders the possessor of goods to deliver. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Local government: means every political subdivision or other entity which has the right to levy or receive money from ad valorem or other taxes or any mandatory assessments, and includes, without limitation, counties, cities, towns, boards, school districts and other districts organized pursuant to chapters 244A, 318, 318A, 379, 474, 538, 541, 543 and 555 of NRS, NRS 450. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- physician: means a person who engages in the practice of medicine, including osteopathy and homeopathy. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.040
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- population: means the number of people in a specified area as determined by the last preceding national decennial census conducted by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce pursuant to Section 2 of Article I of the Constitution of the United States and reported by the Secretary of Commerce to the Governor pursuant to 13 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.050
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public body: means the State, county, city, town, school district or any public agency of this State or its political subdivisions sponsoring or financing a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Public schools: means all kindergartens and elementary schools, junior high schools and middle schools, high schools, charter schools and any other schools, classes and educational programs which receive their support through public taxation and, except for charter schools, whose textbooks and courses of study are under the control of the State Board. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Public work: means any project for the new construction, repair or reconstruction of a project financed in whole or in part from public money for:
(a) Public buildings;
(b) Jails and prisons;
(c) Public roads;
(d) Public highways;
(e) Public streets and alleys;
(f) Public utilities;
(g) Publicly owned water mains and sewers;
(h) Public parks and playgrounds;
(i) Public convention facilities which are financed at least in part with public money; and
(j) All other publicly owned works and property. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Shipper: means a person that enters into a contract of transportation with a carrier. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subcontract: means a written contract entered into between:
(a) A contractor and a subcontractor or supplier; or
(b) A subcontractor and another subcontractor or supplier, for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subcontractor: means a person who:
(a) Is licensed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 624 of NRS or performs such work that the person is not required to be licensed pursuant to chapter 624 of NRS; and
(b) Contracts with a contractor, another subcontractor or a supplier to provide labor, materials or services for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Supplier: means a person who provides materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Wages: means :
(a) The basic hourly rate of pay; and
(b) The amount of pension, health and welfare, vacation and holiday pay, the cost of apprenticeship training or other bona fide fringe benefits which are a benefit to the worker. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Warehouse: means a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Worker: means a skilled mechanic, skilled worker, semiskilled mechanic, semiskilled worker or unskilled worker in the service of a contractor or subcontractor under any appointment or contract of hire or apprenticeship, express or implied, oral or written, whether lawfully or unlawfully employed. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010