|Discrimination in Housing||118.010 – 118.120|
|Property Taxes Paid by Landlord||118.165|
|Abandonment of Real Property by Tenant||118.171 – 118.205|
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 118 - Discrimination in Housing; Landlord and Tenant
- Active duty: means full-time duty status in the active uniformed service of the United States, including members of the National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders pursuant to 10 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Authorized representative: means a person designated by the governing body to be responsible for the development, award and proper administration of all purchases and contracts for a local government or a department, division, agency, board or unit of a local government made pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Authorized representative: means a person designated by a public body to be responsible for the development, solicitation, award or administration of contracts for public works pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Charter school: means a public school that is formed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 388A of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Child of a military family: means a school-aged child enrolled in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, inclusive, in the household of a person on active duty. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Compact commissioner: means the voting representative of each compacting state appointed pursuant to Article VIII of this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: means a written contract entered into between a contractor and a public body for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means :
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Day labor: means all cases where public bodies, their officers, agents or employees, hire, supervise and pay the wages thereof directly to a worker or workers employed by them on public works by the day and not under a contract in writing. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Deployment: means the period 1 month before the departure of a person on active duty from his or her home station on military orders though 6 months after return to his or her home station. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Division: means the State Public Works Division of the Department of Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Educational records: means the official records, files and data directly relating to a student which are maintained by a school or local education agency, including, without limitation, records encompassing all the material kept in the student"s cumulative folder, such as general identifying data, records of attendance and of academic work completed, records of achievement, results of evaluative tests, health data, disciplinary status, test protocols and individualized education programs. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Eligible bidder: means a person who is:
(a) Found to be a responsible and responsive contractor by a local government or its authorized representative which requests bids for a public work in accordance with paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 338. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Extracurricular activities: means a voluntary activity sponsored by a school or local education agency or an organization sanctioned by a local education agency, including, without limitation, preparation for and involvement in public performances, contests, athletic competitions, demonstrations, displays and club activities. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of the local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of a local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- incarcerated persons: means persons who are incarcerated in a facility or institution operated by the Department of Corrections. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388H.010
- Interstate Commission: means the Interstate Commission on Educational Opportunity for Military Children created by Article IX of this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Issuer: means a bailee that issues a document of title or, in the case of an unaccepted delivery order, the person that orders the possessor of goods to deliver. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Local education agency: means an administrative agency legally constituted by the state to provide control of and direction for public educational institutions for kindergarten and grades 1 through 12, inclusive. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Local government: means every political subdivision or other entity which has the right to levy or receive money from ad valorem or other taxes or any mandatory assessments, and includes, without limitation, counties, cities, towns, boards, school districts and other districts organized pursuant to chapters 244A, 318, 318A, 379, 474, 538, 541, 543 and 555 of NRS, NRS 450. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Member state: means a state that has enacted this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Military installation: means a base, camp, post, station, yard, center or homeport facility for any ship or other activity under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Defense, including any leased facility, which is located within any of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands or any other territory of the United States. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Offense: means :
(a) Failing to:
(1) Pay the prevailing wage required pursuant to this chapter;
(2) Pay the contributions for unemployment compensation required pursuant to chapter 612 of NRS;
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public body: means the State, county, city, town, school district or any public agency of this State or its political subdivisions sponsoring or financing a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Public work: means any project for the new construction, repair or reconstruction of a project financed in whole or in part from public money for:
(a) Public buildings;
(b) Jails and prisons;
(c) Public roads;
(d) Public highways;
(e) Public streets and alleys;
(f) Public utilities;
(g) Publicly owned water mains and sewers;
(h) Public parks and playgrounds;
(i) Public convention facilities which are financed at least in part with public money; and
(j) All other publicly owned works and property. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Receiving state: means the state to which a child of a military family is sent, brought or caused to be sent or brought. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rule: means a written statement by the Interstate Commission promulgated pursuant to Article XII of this Compact that is of general applicability and implements, interprets or prescribes a policy or provision of this Compact or an organizational, procedural or practice requirement of the Interstate Commission and has the force and effect of statutory law in a member state, including the amendment, repeal or suspension of an existing rule. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Sending state: means the state from which a child of a military family is sent, brought or caused to be sent or brought. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Solicitation: means a written statement which sets forth the requirements and specifications of a contract to be awarded by:
(a) An invitation to bid;
(b) A request for proposals;
(c) A request for a statement of qualifications;
(d) A request for a quotation; or
(e) Any other accepted method of purchasing that complies with the provisions of this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- State: means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands and any other territory of the United States. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- State Board: means the State Board of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Student: means the child of a military family for whom the local education agency receives public funding and who is formally enrolled in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, inclusive. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Subcontract: means a written contract entered into between:
(a) A contractor and a subcontractor or supplier; or
(b) A subcontractor and another subcontractor or supplier, for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subcontractor: means a person who:
(b) Contracts with a contractor, another subcontractor or a supplier to provide labor, materials or services for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Supplier: means a person who provides materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Transition: means the formal and physical process of transferring from school to school or the period of time in which a student moves from one school in the sending state to another school in the receiving state. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Uniformed service: means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Wages: means :
(a) The basic hourly rate of pay; and
(b) The amount of pension, health and welfare, vacation and holiday pay, the cost of apprenticeship training or other bona fide fringe benefits which are a benefit to the worker. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Warehouse: means a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Worker: means a skilled mechanic, skilled worker, semiskilled mechanic, semiskilled worker or unskilled worker in the service of a contractor or subcontractor under any appointment or contract of hire or apprenticeship, express or implied, oral or written, whether lawfully or unlawfully employed. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010