|General Provisions||118C.010 – 118C.150|
|Rights and Obligations of Landlords and Tenants||118C.200 – 118C.230|
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 118C
- Abstract of judgment: In a federal criminal proceeding, A certification from a U.S. District Court clerk that a judgment of restitution was entered against the defendant owing to the victim. If the defendant inherits, owns, or sells real property or holdings, these assets can then be attached at the state and local levels as well.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Bailee: means a person that by a warehouse receipt, bill of lading or other document of title acknowledges possession of goods and contracts to deliver them. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- Department: means the Department of Taxation. See Nevada Revised Statutes 360.001
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Goods: means all things that are treated as movable for the purposes of a contract for storage or transportation. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Joint tenancy: A form of property ownership in which two or more parties hold an undivided interest in the same property that was conveyed under the same instrument at the same time. A joint tenant can sell his (her) interest but not dispose of it by will. Upon the death of a joint tenant, his (her) undivided interest is distributed among the surviving joint tenants.
- Life estate: A property interest limited in duration to the life of the individual holding the interest (life tenant).
- Majority leader: see Floor Leaders
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- population: means the number of people in a specified area as determined by the last preceding national decennial census conducted by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce pursuant to Section 2 of Article I of the Constitution of the United States and reported by the Secretary of Commerce to the Governor pursuant to 13 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.050
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- retailer: has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 372. See Nevada Revised Statutes 360.005
- Tenancy in common: A type of property ownership in which two or more individuals have an undivided interest in property. At the death of one tenant in common, his (her) fractional percentage of ownership in the property passes to the decedent
- veteran: means a resident of this State who:
- Warehouse: means a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102