A. Whoever assumes the custody of a living infant of unknown parentage shall report on a form and in the manner prescribed by the state registrar within ten days the following information:
(1) the date and place of finding;
(2) sex, color or race and approximate age of child;
(3) name and address of the person or institution with whom the child has been placed for care;
(4) name given to the child by the custodian; and
(5) other data required by the state registrar.
B. A report registered under this section constitutes the certificate of birth for the infant.
C. If the child is subsequently identified and a standard certificate of birth can be established, any report registered under this section shall be sealed and may be opened only by order of the district court or as provided by regulation.