Indiana Code > Title 16 > Article 37 – Vital Statistics
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
|Chapter 2||Certification of Births|
|Chapter 3||Certificates of Death and Stillbirth; Burial Permits|
|Chapter 4||Medical Data Regarding Cause of Death|
|Chapter 5||Suicide and Overdose Fatality Reporting|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 16 > Article 37 - Vital Statistics
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- budget agency: means the budget agency created by IC § 4-12-1-3. See Indiana Code 4-3-24-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- dead body: means a lifeless human body or parts or bones of the human body from the condition of which it reasonably may be concluded that death recently occurred. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-1
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- office: refers to the Indiana office of energy development established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-3-23-2
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- person in charge of interment: means a person who places or causes to be placed a stillborn child or dead body or the ashes, after cremation, in a grave, vault, urn, or other receptacle, or otherwise disposes of the body or ashes. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-2
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5