|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
|Chapter 2||Certification of Births|
|Chapter 3||Certificates of Death and Stillbirth; Burial Permits|
|Chapter 4||Medical Data Regarding Cause of Death|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 16 > Article 37 - Vital Statistics
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- alternative fuel: means liquefied petroleum gas, a compressed natural gas product, or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and a compressed natural gas product, not including a biodiesel fuel or biodiesel blend, used in an internal combustion engine or a motor to propel a motor vehicle. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-1
- alternative fuel conversion kit: means any equipment used to convert a motor vehicle that is not an alternative fuel vehicle into an alternative fuel vehicle, in conformance with any applicable governmental or other nationally recognized safety or design standards, as determined under standards adopted by the office under section 8(1) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-2
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- dead body: means a lifeless human body or parts or bones of the human body from the condition of which it reasonably may be concluded that death recently occurred. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-1
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- office: refers to the Indiana office of energy development established by IC 4-3-23-3. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-4
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- person in charge of interment: means a person who places or causes to be placed a stillborn child or dead body or the ashes, after cremation, in a grave, vault, urn, or other receptacle, or otherwise disposes of the body or ashes. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-2
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- qualified purchase: refers to the purchase by a unit after June 30, 2009, of any of the following:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-5
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- unit: means a county, city, town, township, or school corporation. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-6
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5