A. As used in this section:
Terms Used In New Mexico Statutes 9-19-12
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
(1) “department” means the department of public safety; and
(2) “grant program” means the sexual assault examination kit processing grant program established pursuant to this section.
B. The department shall establish and administer a grant program to award funds to state and local law enforcement agencies for the processing of sexual assault examination kits.
C. Grant funds may be used only for the processing by a state or municipal crime laboratory of biological evidence that was collected in relation to a sexual assault.
D. The department:
(1) shall establish:
(a) grant program application procedures;
(b) guidelines for the grant amounts to be awarded; and
(c) criteria for evaluating grant program applications; and
(2) may establish additional eligibility criteria for grant program applications. E. Annually, on or before January 1, the department shall provide a report to the taxation and revenue department detailing the results and performance of the grant program.
F. The “sexual assault examination kit processing grant fund” is created in the state treasury. The fund consists of voluntary tax refund contributions, gifts, grants and donations. Balances remaining in the fund at the end of a fiscal year shall not revert to any other fund. The department shall administer the fund, and money in the fund is subject to appropriation by the legislature to the department to administer the grant program. Disbursements from the fund shall be made by warrant of the secretary of finance and administration pursuant to vouchers signed by the secretary of public safety or the secretary’s authorized representative.
G. A person may make a gift or donation to the sexual assault examination kit processing grant fund through the department.