New Mexico Statutes > Chapter 44 > Article 5 – Gambling Debts and Losses
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New Mexico Statutes > Chapter 44 > Article 5 - Gambling Debts and Losses
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.