Terms Used In New York Laws > Alternative County Government > Article 13 - General Provisions
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.