|§ 160D-402||Administrative staff|
|§ 160D-403||Administrative development approvals and determinations|
|§ 160D-405||Appeals of administrative decisions|
|§ 160D-406||Quasi-judicial procedure|
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes > Chapter 160D > Article 4
- Administrative decision: Decisions made in the implementation, administration, or enforcement of development regulations that involve the determination of facts and the application of objective standards set forth in this Chapter or local government development regulations. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- City: As defined in G. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- County: Any one of the counties listed in G. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Determination: A written, final, and binding order, requirement, or determination regarding an administrative decision. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Development: Any of the following:
- Development approval: An administrative or quasi-judicial approval made pursuant to this Chapter that is written and that is required prior to commencing development or undertaking a specific activity, project, or development proposal. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Development regulation: A unified development ordinance, zoning regulation, subdivision regulation, erosion and sedimentation control regulation, floodplain or flood damage prevention regulation, mountain ridge protection regulation, stormwater control regulation, wireless telecommunication facility regulation, historic preservation or landmark regulation, housing code, State Building Code enforcement, or any other regulation adopted pursuant to this Chapter, or a local act or charter that regulates land use or development. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Evidentiary hearing: A hearing to gather competent, material, and substantial evidence in order to make findings for a quasi-judicial decision required by a development regulation adopted under this Chapter. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Governing board: The city council or board of county commissioners. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- in writing: may be construed to include printing, engraving, lithographing, and any other mode of representing words and letters: Provided, that in all cases where a written signature is required by law, the same shall be in a proper handwriting, or in a proper mark. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Local government: A city or county. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: An individual, partnership, firm, association, joint venture, public or private corporation, trust, estate, commission, board, public or private institution, utility, cooperative, interstate body, the State of North Carolina and its agencies and political subdivisions, or other legal entity. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Property: All real property subject to land-use regulation by a local government. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Quasi-judicial decision: A decision involving the finding of facts regarding a specific application of a development regulation and that requires the exercise of discretion when applying the standards of the regulation. See North Carolina General Statutes 160D-102
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- United States: shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3