As used in this title with regard to electronic voting systems:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 16.1-06-12
- paper: means any flexible material upon which it is usual to write. See North Dakota Code 1-01-27
1. “Automatic tabulating equipment” means an apparatus which automatically tabulates and counts votes recorded on ballots or entered directly into a computer or other electronic device by means of a touchscreen or other data entry device and data processing machines which can be used for counting votes and tabulating results.
2. “Ballot” means a handcount paper ballot or for an electronic voting system includes a tabulating paper ballot, recorded by optical scan reader, containing the names of offices and candidates and the questions to be voted on, which is used in conjunction with the marking device and on which votes may be recorded. For direct recording electronic voting systems, ballot means the ballot display provided by electro-optical devices showing the names and candidates and the questions to be voted on that allows a voter to directly enter choices into electronic storage with the use of a touchscreen or other data entry device.
3. “Counting center” means the location or locations designated by the county auditor for the automatic tabulating and counting of ballots.
4. “Direct-recording electronic voting system” means a voting system that records votes by means of a ballot display provided by electro-optical devices that allows a voter to directly enter choices into electronic storage with the use of a touchscreen or other data entry device. An alphabetic keyboard may be employed as an entry device to facilitate voting for write-in candidates. A voter’s choices are stored in the direct-recording electronic voting system’s internal memory devices and added to the choices of all other voters.
5. “Electronic voting system” means a system, or the combination of electronic voting systems and devices authorized under this chapter, that may employ a marking device in conjunction with ballots or the use of a touchscreen or other data entry device and automatic tabulating equipment for the recording, tabulating, and counting of votes in an election.
6. “Electronic voting system device” means a single unit of an electronic voting system.
7. “Marking device” means a device for marking ballots with ink or other substance, or any other method for recording votes on ballots in a manner that the votes may be tabulated and counted by automatic tabulating equipment.
8. “Optical scan” means a procedure in which votes cast on a paper ballot are tabulated by means of examining marks made in voting response locations on the ballot with an optical reader.