The provisions of this chapter do not apply to services performed in any of the following areas:
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 5-54-3
- Physician: means a person licensed under the provisions of chapter 29 or 37 of this title. See Rhode Island General Laws 5-54-2.
- Physician assistant: means a person who is qualified by academic and practical training to provide those certain patient services under the supervision, control, responsibility and direction of a licensed physician. See Rhode Island General Laws 5-54-2.
(1) The practice of dentistry or dental hygiene as defined in chapter 31.1 of this title.
(2) The practice of chiropractic medicine.
(3) The practice of optometry as defined in chapter 35 of this title.
(4) A physician assistant student enrolled in a physician assistant or surgeon assistant educational program while performing duties in conjunction with a formal training program clinical rotation under the auspices of a recognized degree granting institution.
(5) Technicians, or other assistants or employees of physicians who perform delegated tasks in the office of a physician but who are not rendering services as physician assistant or identifying themselves as a physician assistant.
(P.L. 1976, ch. 274, § 1; P.L. 1982, ch. 94, § 1; P.L. 1991, ch. 72, § 1; P.L. 1991, ch. 358, § 1; P.L. 1995, ch. 42, § 1.)