Terms Used In South Carolina Code 44-43-380
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Document of gift: means a donor card or other record used to make an anatomical gift. See South Carolina Code 44-43-305
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Person: means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See South Carolina Code 44-43-305
- Refusal: means a record created under Section 44-43-330 that expressly states an intent to bar other persons from making an anatomical gift of an individual's body or part. See South Carolina Code 44-43-305
A person that, in order to obtain a financial gain, intentionally falsifies, forges, conceals, defaces, or obliterates a document of gift, an amendment or revocation of a document of gift, or a refusal commits a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than fifty thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.