|§ 17-5-10||Election of coroner|
|§ 17-5-30||Official oaths; commission|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 17 > Chapter 5 > Article 1
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Cause of death: refers to the agent that has directly or indirectly resulted in a death. See South Carolina Code 17-5-5
- Coroner: means the person elected or serving as the county coroner pursuant to Section 24 of Article V of the South Carolina Constitution, 1895, this chapter, and Chapter 7 of Title 17. See South Carolina Code 17-5-5
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Laboratory: means a laboratory containing facilities for the scientific detection and identification of physical evidence connected with crimes and causes of death and other examinations of tissue, chemical substances, and gases that contribute to the health and well-being of all people. See South Carolina Code 17-5-5
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Manner of death: refers to the means or fatal agency that caused a death. See South Carolina Code 17-5-5
- Medical examiner: means the licensed physician or pathologist designated by the county medical examiner's commission pursuant to Article 5 of this chapter for the purpose of performing post-mortem examinations, autopsies, and examinations of other forms of evidence required by this chapter. See South Carolina Code 17-5-5
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.