|§ 44-27-10||Powers of federal institution over patient|
|§ 44-27-20||Jurisdiction and powers over person ordered admitted by foreign court|
|§ 44-27-30||Transfer of individual to federal agency|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 44 > Chapter 27
- Action: means a civil action in any forum, including an arbitration proceeding, for damages or indemnity asserting a claim for damages, injury, or loss arising out of an alleged defect, act, or omission relating to the design, construction, or condition of the alteration, modification, renovation, or repair of a nonresidential building or structure upon real estate including, but not limited to, utility systems, the boring, and equipping of wells, the preparation of plans, specification, and design drawings, and the work of making the real estate suitable as a site for the building or structure, surveying and staking, the grading, bulldozing, leveling, excavating, and filling of land including the furnishing of fill soil, the grading and paving of curbs and sidewalks and all asphalt paving, the construction of ditches and other drainage facilities, the laying of pipes and conduits for water, gas, electric, sewage, and drainage purposes, and the disposal of any construction and demolition debris, as defined in Section 44-96-40(6) including final disposal by a construction and demolition landfill of nonresidential property. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contractor: means a person licensed or registered pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 11, Title 40, who is engaged in the business of designing, developing, or constructing nonresidential properties. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Design professional: means a person licensed or registered pursuant to the provisions of Title 40 as an architect, landscape architect, engineer, or surveyor. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nonresidential property: means any property, building, structure, or improvement to real property that is not a dwelling as defined in Section 40-59-820. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- service: means personal service or delivery by certified mail to the last known address of the addressee. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Subcontractor: means a contractor who performs work on behalf of another contractor in the construction of a nonresidential property who is licensed or registered pursuant to the provisions of Title 40. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510
- Supplier: means a person who provides materials, equipment, or other supplies for the construction of a nonresidential property. See South Carolina Code 40-11-510