Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 44 > Chapter 43 > Article 13
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Beaches: means those lands subject to periodic inundation by tidal and wave action so that no nonlittoral vegetation is established. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Board: means the board of the department. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- CDPS: means Coastal Division Permitting Staff. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Coastal waters: means the navigable waters of the United States subject to the ebb and flood of the tide and which are saline waters, shoreward to their mean high-water mark. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Coastal zone: means all coastal waters and submerged lands seaward to the state's jurisdictional limits and all lands and waters in the counties of the State which contain any one or more of the critical areas. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Critical area: means any of the following:
(1) coastal waters;
(4) beach/dune system which is the area from the mean high-water mark to the setback line as determined in Section 48-39-280. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Division: means the Coastal Division of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Estuarine sanctuary: means a research area designated as an estuarine sanctuary by the Secretary of Commerce. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Fuel: means gas and oil. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Gas: means all natural gas and all other fluid hydrocarbons not hereinabove defined as oil, including condensate because it originally was in the gaseous phase in the reservoir. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Marine sanctuary: means any water and wetland areas designated as a marine sanctuary by the Secretary of Commerce. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Oil: means crude petroleum oil and all other hydrocarbons, regardless of specific gravity, that are produced in liquid form by ordinary production methods, but does not include liquid hydrocarbons that were originally in a gaseous phase in the reservoir. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any individual, organization, association, partnership, business trust, estate trust, corporation, public or municipal corporation, county, local government unit, public or private authority and shall include the State of South Carolina, its political subdivisions and all its departments, boards, bureaus or other agencies, unless specifically exempted by this chapter. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Saline waters: means those waters which contain a measurable quantity of sea water, at least one part chloride ion per thousand. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Submerged lands: means those river, creek, and ocean bottoms lying below mean low-water mark. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10
- Tidelands: means all areas which are at or below mean high tide and coastal wetlands, mudflats, and similar areas that are contiguous or adjacent to coastal waters and are an integral part of the estuarine systems involved. See South Carolina Code 48-39-10