Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 44 > Chapter 71
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amusement device: means any mechanical device or combination of devices which carries or conveys passengers on, along, around, over, or through a fixed or restricted course or within a defined area for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, or excitement. See South Carolina Code 41-18-40
- Board: means the South Carolina Board of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Carnival: means an itinerant enterprise consisting principally of temporary amusement devices or mechanical rides operated to provide entertainment or amusement to the public. See South Carolina Code 41-18-40
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospice: means a centrally administered, interdisciplinary health care program, which provides a continuum of medically supervised palliative and supportive care for the terminally ill patient and the family including, but not limited to, outpatient and inpatient services provided directly or through written agreement. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Hospice facility: means an institution, place, or building in which a licensed hospice provides room, board, and appropriate hospice services on a twenty-four hour basis to individuals requiring hospice care pursuant to the orders of a physician. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Licensee: means the individual, corporation, or public entity with whom rests the ultimate responsibility for maintaining approved standards for the hospice or hospice facility. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Multiple location: means a properly registered additional site, other than the licensed primary office, from which a parent hospice organization provides hospice services. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Owner: means a person, corporation, partnership, or association who owns an amusement device or, in the event that the amusement device is leased, the lessee. See South Carolina Code 41-18-40
- Parent hospice: means a properly licensed hospice that, in addition to its primary office, also provides hospice services from a multiple location as defined in item (6). See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- Parent or guardian: means a parent, custodian, or guardian responsible for the control, safety, training, or education of a minor or a person who is disabled or incompetent. See South Carolina Code 41-18-310
- Primary office: means the main office of a hospice program from which a parent hospice provides hospice services to patients and their families and from which a parent hospice performs oversight, administrative, and coordination of care duties for any multiple location. See South Carolina Code 44-71-20
- rider: means a person who is:
(a) waiting in the immediate vicinity to get on a carnival or amusement device;
(b) getting on a carnival or amusement device;
(c) using a carnival or amusement device;
(d) getting off a carnival or amusement device; or
(e) leaving a carnival or amusement device and who is still in the immediate vicinity of the carnival or amusement device. See South Carolina Code 41-18-310