Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 22-18-37
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Person: any natural person, unborn child, association, limited liability company, corporation, firm, organization, partnership, or society. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2
- State: the State of South Dakota. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
It is a Class 4 felony for any person:
(1) To knowingly circumcise, excise, mutilate, or infibulate, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of a female under the age of eighteen years;
(2) Who is a parent, guardian, or has immediate custody or control of a female under the age of eighteen years to knowingly consent to or permit the circumcision, excision, mutilation, or infibulation, in whole or in part, of the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of such female; or
(3) To knowingly remove, cause, or permit the removal of a female under the age of eighteen years from this state for the purpose of circumcising, excising, mutilating, or infibulating, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of such female.