- Notice of the petition, stating the time it is intended to present it, and the court at which it is to be presented, shall be served upon the parties who do not join in the petition, at least five (5) days before its presentation, or given by publication, as provided in subsection (b).
- If any of the parties defendant are nonresidents or unknown, or of unknown residence, the court, or its clerk, may order and make publication for them, under this Code in like cases in chancery where personal service of process is dispensed with.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 29-27-111
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
Code 1858, §§ 3273, 3275 (deriv. Acts 1799, ch. 11, § 1; 1823, ch. 37, § 1); Shan., §§ 5021, 5023; Code 1932, §§ 9176, 9178; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 23-2111, 23-2112.