If any threat, express or implied, is made to any motor vehicle dealer, by any manufacturer, or wholesale distributor on authority of any manufacturer, to the effect that the manufacturer or wholesale distributor will discontinue to sell, or will terminate a contract to sell motor vehicles to the dealer unless the dealer finances the purchase or sale of motor vehicles only through a designated finance company or finance agency or class of persons, the threat so made shall be prima facie evidence of the fact that the manufacturer or wholesale distributor has sold, or intends to sell, motor vehicles, on the condition or with the agreement prohibited in § 55-13-102.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 55-13-103
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Dealer: means any person, partnership, or corporation who is engaged in, or who intends to engage in the business of selling motor vehicles at retail in this state. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Finance company or finance agency: means any person engaged in the business of financing the sale of motor vehicles, or engaged in the business of purchasing or acquiring promissory notes, either secured by vendor's lien or chattel mortgage, arising from the sale of motor vehicles in this state. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101
- Manufacturer: means any person who is engaged, either directly or indirectly, in the manufacture of motor vehicles. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101
- Motor vehicle: means every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding electric scooters, electric bicycles as defined in §. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
- Persons: means any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, association, trustee, receiver or assignee for the benefit of creditors. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101
- purchase: include exchange, barter, gift, and offer to contract to sell or buy. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101
- Wholesale distributor: means any person engaged, directly or indirectly, in the sale or distribution of motor vehicles to agents or to dealers. See Tennessee Code 55-13-101