(a) Whenever any property is sold at a tax sale and is purchased by the state, by a county, by a municipality, or by a county and municipality, the officers of the state, or the county, or the municipality, or of county and municipality, purchasing the property, shall notify the county trustee and the collector of any municipal taxes that are a lien upon the property, when actual possession has been taken of such lands, and the county trustee and the collector of municipal taxes are then authorized and directed to note the payment of the taxes, for which the sale was held upon the tax rolls, by endorsing thereon the words: “Paid by sale of property, see Land Ledger, p. ____; actual possession having been taken by ____ (County, City, or City and County),” or equivalent words.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 67-5-2510
- Collector: means in the case of any tax entity, other than a county, that collects its own taxes, assessments, or other charges secured by property, the officer of such tax entity responsible for collecting such taxes, assessments, or charges. See Tennessee Code 67-5-105
- Lands: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights thereto and interests therein, equitable as well as legal. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(b) If actual possession is not taken by the state, by a county, or by a municipality, or by a county and municipality, the lands shall not be removed from the tax rolls, nor shall the lands be removed from the tax rolls, if the owner or former tenant is permitted to remain in possession of the property without the payment of rent to the state, county or municipality or county and municipality.