Tennessee Code > Title 49 > Chapter 10 > Part 6 – Rights of Children and Parents
Current as of: 2023 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 49 > Chapter 10 > Part 6 - Rights of Children and Parents
- Child with a disability: means a child between three (3) and twenty-one (21) years of age, both inclusive, who has been evaluated and determined as having a state-identified disability in accordance with the rules and regulations of the state board of education or as having one (1) or more of the following disabilities, as defined in 34 C. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Department: means the department of education. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- FAPE: means a free appropriate public education in compliance with the IDEA. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- IDEA: means the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act ( Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- LEA: means a local education agency. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Related services: means :
(A) Transportation and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education, including speech-language pathology and audiology services. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- signed: includes a mark, the name being written near the mark and witnessed, or any other symbol or methodology executed or adopted by a party with intention to authenticate a writing or record, regardless of being witnessed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Special education: means specially designed instruction, at no cost to the parents, to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability, including instruction conducted in the classroom, home, hospitals, institutions, and other settings, and instruction in physical education. See Tennessee Code 49-10-102
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105