Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 4 > Chapter 26
- Agriculture: means :
(i) The land, buildings and machinery used in the commercial production of farm products and nursery stock. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Bid bond: means a bond conditioned upon the entering into a contract by a bidder, if the bidder receives the award thereof, and furnishing the prescribed payment bond and performance bond. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Board: as used in this part , means a board of waterworks and/or sewerage commissioners as required and authorized in this section, constituted and appointed as provided in §§ 7-35-407 -- 7-35-409. See Tennessee Code 7-35-406
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of economic and community development. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the department of economic and community development. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Director: means the director of the office of business enterprise. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Disability: means a physical impairment that, in the written opinion of a person's licensed physician, substantially limits one (1) or more of the major life activities of such person and is expected to continue to exist for more than five (5) years. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Disadvantaged business: means a business that is solely owned, or at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the outstanding stock of which is owned, by a person who is either:
(A) By reason of social background unable to obtain technical, business or financial assistance of a quality or quantity similar to that available to the average business. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Heliport: means land from which helicopters take off and land. See Tennessee Code 42-8-101
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- major life activities: means caring for oneself and performing manual tasks, which includes writing, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, and breathing. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Minor: means any person who has not attained eighteen (18) years of age. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Month: means a calendar month. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Oath: includes affirmation. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Obligee: means :
(A) In the case of a bid bond, the person requesting bids for the performance of a contract. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Payment bond: means a bond conditioned upon the payment by the principal of money to persons under contract with the principal. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Performance bond: means a bond conditioned upon the completion by the principal of a contract in accordance with its terms. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Prime contractor: means the person with whom the obligee has contracted to perform the contract. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Principal: means :
(i) In the case of a bid bond, a person bidding for the award of a contract. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in a perceivable form. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Sewerage system: means all or any part of the following:
(A) The collecting system. See Tennessee Code 7-35-401
- signed: includes a mark, the name being written near the mark and witnessed, or any other symbol or methodology executed or adopted by a party with intention to authenticate a writing or record, regardless of being witnessed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Subcontractor: means a person who has contracted with a prime contractor or with another subcontractor to perform a contract. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Surety: means the person who:
(A) Under the terms of a bid bond, undertakes to pay a sum of money to the obligee in the event the principal breaches the conditions of the bond. See Tennessee Code 4-26-102
- Tourist resort county: means a county having more than five percent (5%) of its territory located within the boundaries of a national park established pursuant to 16 U. See Tennessee Code 42-8-101
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Works: means the waterworks or sewerage system. See Tennessee Code 7-35-401
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105