Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 65 > Chapter 15 > Part 3 - Transportation Network Companies
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Digital network: means any online-enabled application, software, web site, or system offered or utilized by a transportation network company that enables the prearrangement of rides with transportation network company drivers. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- driver: means an individual who:
(A) Receives connections to potential passengers and related services from a transportation network company in exchange for payment of a fee to the transportation network company. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Personal vehicle: means a vehicle that is used by a transportation network company driver and is:
(A) Owned, leased, or otherwise authorized for use by the transportation network company driver. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- Prearranged ride: means the provision of transportation by a driver to a rider, beginning when a driver accepts a ride requested by a rider through a digital network controlled by a transportation network company, continuing while the driver transports a requesting rider, and ending when the last requesting rider departs from the personal vehicle. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- rider: means a person or persons who use a transportation network company's digital network to connect with a transportation network driver who provides prearranged rides to the rider in the driver's personal vehicle between points chosen by the rider. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Transportation network company: means a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other entity operating in this state that uses a digital network to connect transportation network company riders to transportation network company drivers who provide prearranged rides. See Tennessee Code 65-15-301
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105