|Part 1||Public Utilities||65-5-101 – 65-5-113|
|Part 2||Broadband Business Certainty Act of 2006||65-5-201 – 65-5-203|
|Part 3||Uniform Access, Competition, and Consumer Fairness Act of 2011||65-5-301 – 65-5-302|
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 65 > Chapter 5
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- broadband services: means any service that consists of or includes a high-speed access capability to transmit at a rate that is not less than two hundred kilobits per second (200 Kbps), either in the upstream or downstream direction and either:
(A) Is used to provide access to the Internet. See Tennessee Code 65-5-202
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Defendant: means a person accused of an offense under this title and includes any person who aids or abets the commission of such offense. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Minor: means any person under eighteen (18) years of age. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Obtain: includes , but is not limited to, the taking, carrying away or the sale, conveyance or transfer of title to or interest in or possession of property, and includes, but is not limited to, conduct known as larceny, larceny by trick, larceny by conversion, embezzlement, extortion or obtaining property by false pretenses. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Person: includes the singular and the plural and means and includes any individual, firm, partnership, copartnership, association, corporation, governmental subdivision or agency, or other organization or other legal entity, or any agent or servant thereof. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105