Terms Used In Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code 150.001
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
In this chapter:
(1) “Certified municipal inspector” means an individual who is employed full-time by a political subdivision and is currently:
(A) certified by a national model code group; or
(B) licensed as a plumbing inspector, as defined by Section 1301.002, Occupations Code.
(1-a) “Claimant” means a party, including a plaintiff or third-party plaintiff, seeking recovery for damages, contribution, or indemnification.
(1-b) “Complaint” means any petition or other pleading which, for the first time, raises a claim against a licensed or registered professional for damages arising out of the provision of professional services by the licensed or registered professional.
(1-c) “Licensed or registered professional” means a licensed architect, licensed professional engineer, registered professional land surveyor, registered landscape architect, or any firm in which such licensed or registered professional practices, including but not limited to a corporation, professional corporation, limited liability corporation, partnership, limited liability partnership, sole proprietorship, joint venture, or any other business entity.
(1-d) “National model code group” means an organization consisting of industry and government fire and building safety officials that develops and promulgates a national model code, as defined by Section 214.217, Local Government Code.
(2) “Practice of architecture” has the meaning assigned by Section 1051.001, Occupations Code.
(3) “Practice of engineering” has the meaning assigned by Section 1001.003, Occupations Code.